12 June 2016

BOOK REVIEW: The Loose Ends List by Carrie Firestone

Hiya!

I was so motivated to write this review that I hopped straight on the computer... and here I am - that's how good 'The Loose Ends List' was! 

Maddie O'Neill Levine is caught up a the maddest, most ludicrous adventure that her beloved grandmother, Astrid, has ever come up with: a secret 'death with dignity' trip, in which the dying take their families on a cruise around the world, until the time comes that the patients feel they are ready to die and are put to sleep and laid to rest at sea.

At first, I thought this novel was a little to crazy for me and I didn't know if I'd be able to finish it because, in general, I don't enjoy stories when the main focus is death. However, I'm so glad that I continued reading as the book was magical, enchanting, and just all round amazing. It made me think about a lot of things, especially the fact that many people can't choose how they die, and it really had a lasting impact on me.

While Maddie is seen as the main character in the novel, I feel like there are so many other great characters that latch onto your heart and never let go! One of my personal favourites was Rachel, Maddie's childhood best friend, who Maddie still confides in regularly, despite the girls growing apart. She was so down to earth and completely understood and supported Maddie, even though she had not experienced anything like what Maddie was going through.

The bond of family in the novel was super cute - I loved how the whole family joined together to celebrate their relative's life, and completely put their lives on hold, just so they could be with Astrid. They seemed very accepting of each other and anyone they came across, regardless of their 'judging' nature (which provided a lot of laughs in the story!). Maddie's family had so many minor plot lines intertwined with the main story  which made the book even more enjoyable as it was almost like reading several books at once!

Finally, Maddie and Enzo's relationship was almost law-defying - she had embarked on a trip to honour her grandmother and spend time with her family, yet Maddie manages to jump into a relationship with the boat owner's son! Their story was portrayed in a wonderful way and I loved the dynamic that their relationship added to the novel. I don't want to include any spoilers so I won't say anymore!

Overall, this is honestly one of the best books I've read in a long, long time so I would highly recommend you nab a copy when it comes out in a couple of days time! I hope you've enjoyed the review - if you read 'The Loose Ends List', leave a comment below or tweet me, letting me know what you think. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

See you soon,
Charlotte x

No comments:

Post a Comment