23 July 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Hiya!

It seems like I've uploaded so many book reviews lately - I hope you've been enjoying them! Today I'm going to be reviewing the novel 'Everything, Everything' by Nicola Yoon.

Madeleine Whittier is allergic to the world. She can't leave her 'world-proof' house and the only people that she regularly interacts with are her mother and her nurse. However, when a new family move into the house next door, mysterious Olly attempts to reach out to Madeleine. Cracks in her protective bubble start to form and Madeleine becomes more and more desperate to experience the world; but what would happen to her if she broke free?

I'd seen a lot of 'Everything, Everything' on Twitter and there just seemed to be such a huge hype surrounding it, so when it appeared on NetGalley, I thought 'let's give it a go!'. It's not the type of book that I would usually read but I started it with an open mind and I was pleasantly surprised! It wasn't as medical based as I thought it would be and I found that I shared a strong interest with Madeleine - a love of books! 

The way Madeleine's life was described was super intriguing because it didn't provoke automatic sympathy. Instead, I was filled with questions that I desperately wanted to know the answers to; does she go to school? Does she have any plans for the future? What would happen to her if she went outside? SO MANY QUESTIONS. I became so immersed in the story that I barely stopped reading it until I'd finished it! 

Olly was such a caring character and this was unique in itself as you don't come across many genuine caring people in real life! He preserved with Madeleine and was patient with her illness which was super sweet and showed that he really liked her... AW. 

The ending was huge! I couldn't believe what I was reading, if I'm honest. It was such a major plot twist but it then made the book different from the stereotypical 'dying girl' story. I would most definitely recommend it and I suggest you pre-order it now because it will be flying off the shelves faster than The Fault in Our Stars, trust me!

See you soon,
Charlotte x


No comments:

Post a Comment