26 March 2015

My First Ever Published Book Review!

Hiya!
 
A few weeks ago I uploaded a post called 'A Little Project' - go check it out if you haven't already because it's the first part to this little adventure.
 
But, if you have already read it - carry on :)
 
I finished reading the book about a week ago and I definitely had mixed reviews. On one hand, I really enjoyed the 'other-worldly' feel that the book gave but at the same time, I felt like the book had a really specific target audience which sadly, I don't think I fitted into.
 
But, read my full review here to see if 'Rebecca Newton and the Last Oracle' appeals to you!
 
(You can also see my review on the Maximum Pop website - link down below)
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Describe the plot of ‘Rebecca Newton and the Last Oracle’ in a tweet – less than 140 characters please!
Princess Leylah and her friends are fighting the Titans who are attempting to steal the Sacred Flame and take over the Land of the White Sun.
 
Have you read the first book in the ‘Rebecca Newton’ series?
No, I haven’t so I was really surprised at how easily I picked up the plot – it’s very accessible!
 
Without giving anything away, does the ending make you want to read the next in the series?
Definitely! I love romantic cliff-hangers and I just can’t wait to see what happens next – don’t make us wait too long please Mario!
 
What genre would you class the book as?
Mythic Fantasy.
 
What was the best bit?
My favourite part was when Leylah first went to the Eylsian Fields to see Lord Life, Lady Felicia’s father. I loved the detail of the chapter and the way Leylah’s awe was portrayed – it made me feel like I was visiting the Eylsian Fields for the first time too!
 
Anything you didn’t like?
Sometimes, I got confused as to where the events were taking place as the location changed at the start of each chapter. However in general, I really enjoyed the book and would definitely re-read it!
 
Would you recommend ‘Rebecca Newton and the Last Oracle’ series to your friends?
I think ‘Rebecca Newton and the Last Oracle’ has quite a specific target audience so because of that, I would only recommend it to people who I know that the story would appeal to as I don’t think it is for everyone.
 
Do you think it would appeal to girls or boys more? Or both?
I think that it would appeal to both girls and boys – there is a perfect balance of action and romance.
 
Anything else you’d like to tell us about the book?
It was quite different to any book I’ve read in a while as I just don’t think there are many other books quite like this one. I’d definitely agree with the quote on the back cover of the book ‘This is *The Hunger Games* but set against a backdrop of Greek myth and legend’.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I really can't believe how simple it was to 'get a foot in the door' of reviewing and I'm so so happy with how it's all turned out! It's given me a lot more confidence and I'm now much more positive about possible opportunities.
 
Whatever it is that you want to do... go for it! What's the worst that can happen? You get turned down? Well at least you tried! It will help you grow a thicker skin and will make you tougher and a more powerful character. Think of Adele... she got turned down so many times that she wrote a song about it! However, her perseverance paid off and now she's a world famous pop star.
 
So, moral of my ramblings: YOU CAN DO IT.
 
Ok, I think I'll leave it there because it's getting a bit deep and philosophical!
 
See you soon,
Charlotte x
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment